Wednesday, May 20, 2015

30 Things in 30 Years

Today is my birthday!!   I am officially "old" as society dictates, because I am no longer in my 20s (even though I can tell people that I am 22 and they believe me!).  I thought that I would dread this day coming, but I am actually extremely grateful.  I feel so old and mature in so many ways, and yet I feel so incredibly young.

My grandfather is 87 today.  I can't even imagine being 87, much as I could not imagine being 30 when I was 13.  I am so incredibly grateful for all the time that I have been given with him and my grandmother.  I'm sure at that age, it is incredibly easy to realize that every day is a gift.

That's what I want to concentrate on from here on out.  I don't want to focus on the negative things in life, I want to be able to see life as an incredible gift that has been given to me.  I always thought that crossing over into my 30s would be a bridge into something amazing, but now I realize that I have to make that something amazing.

So here are 30 things I have learned in my short life thus far; one for every year of my life.

  1. It's never too late to figure out what you want in life.  I still don't know, and I am trying very hard to revel in the journey along the way.
  2. A child's laughter (especially a kid under the age of 3) is one of the most beautiful things in the world.  It cheers my soul to hear them laughing.
  3. Magic exists.  We just have to believe that it does, because we are capable of wonderful things.
  4. Nature has the power to nourish the soul.  Not only does it provide the food we eat, but even just a short walk in the woods is enough to relax and ground you.
  5. Human beings are essentially good.  This is something that I discovered recently.  A lot of people are capable of heinous acts, but there is so much compassion and love out there too.
  6. You get more of what you focus on.  As I have worked to notice positive things, so my perspective has shifted.  Things that used to irritate me don't bother me anymore.  I am happier and seeing many more acts of kindness than I used to.
  7. Sometimes it takes longer for you to learn to ride a bike than other kids.  This doesn't mean that you're stupid.  Practice riding that bike until you get really good.
  8. Don't be afraid of falling.  Sometimes you fall off your bike a lot.  Sometimes you're 28 and forget how to apply your brakes.  Crap happens.  Just pick yourself up and carry on.
  9. Being tall is like having a superpower.  Not only can you aid your fellow citizens (by reaching things they can't) but it comes with its own kryptonite; buying pants.
  10. Compromising is not easy, but it is possible.  Know when to give in and when to stand your ground.
  11. Other people are less involved in you than they are in themselves.  This doesn't mean they don't care about you or that they're selfish, it just means they're human.
  12. Some of the most heartbreaking moments of my life have expanded my ability to feel joy.
  13. Just because you were 13 once doesn't mean you will be 13 always.
  14. Everyone still feels like an awkward teenager at some point.  Some are just much better at faking their way through it.
  15. School is just a way to pass time in your childhood.  Learning is something that you will do all your life.
  16. Relationships are a LOT more complicated than movies make them out to be.
  17. Alcohol, while it can enhance the fun that you're having, does not correlate directly to the amount of fun being had.  Some of the best nights of my life were alcohol free.
  18. Being friends (or in love) with someone does not mean automatic forgiveness.  You do need to say you're sorry (and mean it!).
  19. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean that it's right for you.  Do not give up on yourself because you're feeling left out.
  20. Family and friends share equal amounts of love in my heart; friends are the family that I have chosen.  
  21. You are ultimately your worst critic because you absorb everyone else's harsh words.  Be kind to someone instead of being critical.
  22. Going with the flow, thinking on your feet, and being confident are three of the greatest skills in life.  It takes a long time to master them.
  23. Sometimes people are awkward teenagers well into their 20s.  Watch out when they find themselves, because they will astound you every time.
  24. Being "nice" and being "kind" are two completely different things.
  25. Manners will enamor you to other people.  Always say please and thank you, especially to people in the service industry.
  26. People who treat you like crap are not worth your time.  If you stand up for yourself, they should not try to knock you back down.
  27. The things that are hardest in life come along to test your resolve.  Do not give in.  Stay true to who you are and you will be rewarded.
  28. Learn to cook.  It doesn't matter if it comes from a box, if it looks gross, if only you like it; as long as you think it's good, you can cook!
  29. Never let anyone pressure you into anything.  If it feels wrong, it probably is.
  30. Worry comes from thinking too much about the future.  The biggest secret is that the future never comes.  We are always in the present.


I am wiping my slate clean.  I am a new person.  I have a feeling that my 30th year of life is going to be incredibly magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment